Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The flow of time

One of the problems of a big project is finding motivation to continue along the way, and making sure everything is done in a timely fashion.
Some people are naturally very good at this, and they just keep going.
Usually I'm not one of these ppeople unless I'm already going and in a flow; that moment where you just keep on going because you're doing so well, so why stop? And then I look out of the window and see the sun is rising again. Oops.
While in the flow, everything is fine, but getting there is the difficult path.
There are a few ways of getting there though.

You could imagine the results, and just go for them. Sometimes you just have this amazing idea, and you must draw it badly. You just grab a pencil and go.
I like those moments, but they are very rare.

Usually, it's something exernal that spurs me on, like a deadline.
But deadlines are useless unless there are consequences for missing them. Luckily, deadlines are usually set by a client or a boss and you will be in trouble for not delivering on time. Usually that means getting less to eat for a while, and food is one of my prime motivations (for anything really. Offer me food works like rubbing a genie's lamp.)
But for this, I set and enforce my own deadlines. And most people can tell from experience that you can suddenly become very flexible with deadlines when you set them for yourself. So I'll need to have someone else who is able to call me out on missing a deadline.
That would be you.
So I'll tell you my current milestone deadline, and you may call me out on missing it. In fact, I insist.

The (animated) storyboard must be complete by sunday the 21st.

Here's the checklist, I'll update it when progress is made:

(Complete!)
All storyboard sketches made.

(Complete!)
All storyboard shots drawn.

(Complete!)
All storyboard shots animated, rendered and uploaded.


And here's one shot done already :) :
The man hiding from the rain, the snake in the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment